Monday, February 11, 2013

"Prayer for the Papacy" at Associated Baptist Press

The Associated Baptist Press is running a commentary piece titled "Prayer for the Papacy" that I wrote this morning in response to today's news regarding the announced retirement of Pope Benedict XVI at the end of the month. Here's an excerpt from the beginning of the commentary:

The pope has prayed for me, and following the announcement of his retirement at the end of the month, I’m returning the favor by praying for him and the future of his office.

Don’t get the wrong idea: Pope Benedict XVI hasn’t direct-Tweeted me, and he’d have no reason to remember meeting me. But during a private papal audience with the members of the joint delegations to a meeting in Rome of the ecumenical dialogue between the Baptist World Alliance and the Roman Catholic Church in December 2007, my family and I were included in this pledge of prayer:

“Dear friends, I offer you my cordial good wishes and the assurance of my prayers for the important work which you have undertaken. Upon your conversations, and upon each of you and your loved ones, I gladly invoke the Holy Spirit's gifts of wisdom, understanding, strength and peace"....(read the full commentary at Associated Baptist Press)

No comments:

Post a Comment