Two churches in Shelby, North Carolina are trying that suggestion out together this week. For the second year in a row, Ross Grove Baptist Church and the Episcopal Church of the Redeemer are joining forces for a joint Vacation Bible School, which this summer also features an "adult track." The world communions of the two churches, the Baptist World Alliance and the Anglican Communion, held a series of conversations 2000-2005 that produced a substantial study text. In connection with that document, Sunday through Tuesday and Thursday evening this week I'm leading a group of members from both congregations in a four-part study of the theme "Baptists and Episcopalians, One in Christ." Here are the topics we're discussing:
- "A Shared Story: From Separation and Persecution to Toleration to Ecumenical Engagement"
- "Common Prayer? Occasion for Division, Opportunity for Convergence"
- "One Baptism? Comparable Journeys of Christian Initiation"
- "One Bread, One Body? Together at the Table"
- "So What? Living Into Our Unity"