Friday, September 21, 2012

Preliminary $0.02 on the "Jesus' wife" fragment

Today the Associated Baptist Press News Blog published my preliminary historical and theological reflections on the Coptic papyrus fragment that seems to include a reference to Jesus' "wife." I'll post the full text of my contribution here on Ecclesial Theology early next week; in the meantime here's an excerpt from the beginning of the post:

On September 18 I glanced quickly at the headlines from the mobile edition of the New York Times and went straight to “A Faded Piece of Papyrus Refers to Jesus’ Wife.” As a theologian I’m always interested in how such stories are presented and received in relation to Christology (an account of the theological significance of the person and work of Christ), and since one of the specializations of my graduate studies and ongoing research is the intellectual history of early Christianity, I’m also interested in seeing how others in my profession tackle the challenge of communicating the import of ancient Christian texts to the public.

Read the full post on the ABPnews Blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment